About Me

My photo
Should I NOT wear a tutu in my thirties or admit that on (not so) rare occassions I eat frosting with a spoon? Should I NOT dress up in Christmas decorations and burst into the CEO's office looking like a reject from Whoville to wish her a Merry Christmas... or toast life with a purple polka dotted champagne glass (filled with orange juice) before 9 am in the office? Maybe I shouldn't but I like to think that it's part of my charm!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Most Amazing Nightmare!

My first car… was the most amazing nightmare of my life! 



It was the summer before my 18th birthday when I heard the words that EVERY teenager longs to hear – “We have this old car… and we NEVER use it. Do you want it?” 

A car? For me? For FREE! AHHH- MAZING!!!

“There is just one catch…” (slamming on mental brakes!) “It’s a stick.”  NIGHTMARE!

Oh how I loved that car!  Oh how I hated that clutch!

I don’t know that I have ever prayed more in life than I did that first summer!  I prayed the entire way to and from work that all of the lights would be green!  I laid hands on the hood off the car (often) after driving around with the emergency brake on.  I prayed each night that the God of Heaven and Earth who parted the Red Sea, turned water to wine and raised Himself from the dead would change my car from a manual transmission to an automatic – because I KNEW that He could! (Side note – He never did.)

My little car (a two door Chevy Sprint) had a broken air conditioner, a leaky sun roof and the inability to go over 55 mph without shaking uncontrollably! 

Looking back that little nightmare was THE BEST!  $12 filled the tank and I could drive FOREVER even on the fumes.  Those wheels gave me freedom to come and go as I pleased. My college roomie and I were often off to the mall or the movies or a ride around town… all in my little sprint!

But all the while I was driving my amazing little car, I was always thinking about the day… the day I would have a new car… that wasn’t a stick, with AC that worked and sunroof that didn’t leak… I was always looking ahead…

Now as I look back THAT little car was my favorite car… EVER!!!!

As I thought about this today… I couldn’t help but wonder… if my “single years” are not unlike my years with the sprint!  Always looking ahead… always dreaming and thinking and planning for what is to come without fully enjoying where I am right now!

So I decided!  It’s time to look around and enjoy the moment!  Enjoy sleeping late, stretched across the WHOLE bed with all of the blankets! Enjoy the occasional bowl of ice cream for dinner (and by bowl I mean spoon into carton) because no one else is depending on me!  Enjoy my chick flicks and girlie shows… and truly enjoy the time that I am able to spend and invest in God’s presence without interruption!

It is time to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment